What do I need to bring to my appointment?
Please bring the following:
- Insurance information
- A referral from your GP/ Family doctor
- Pertinent x-ray and test results
- A list of all medications that you are taking currently
- A list of known drug allergies if any and symptoms you have from taking these.
Please note: We cannot bill Medicare for any part of the consultation if you do not have a current referral.
What Preparation is required?
Depending on the procedure and the time it will be conducted, you will need to prepare.
For a complete and accurate result the colon must be completely clean. To assist process, dietary restrictions apply. Detailed instructions are available to ensure a successful cleansing routine – this involves a special cleansing solution or several days of laxatives and clear liquids prior to the procedure.
Instruction sheets are dependent on the time of day that the procedure has been scheduled. Choose the instruction sheet based on the timing of the procedure - morning, afternoon or special preparation. If you need assistance with choosing the appropriate instruction sheet, please call or email us.
The success of your colonoscopy will depend on your large bowel being as clear as possible. If it is not clear the procedure may need to be repeated at a later date. To avoid this occuring, please follow preparation instructions. Bowel preparation kits are available from GI Health or the hospital for only $ 20 each.
For the services listed below preparation requirements are as follows:
- Gastroscopy - Fasting for 5 hours prior to the procedure. You cannot eat or drink anything for 5 hours before including water.
- ERCP - Fasting for 5 hours prior to the procedure (you cannot eat or drink anything ).
- Hydogen Breath Testing - You can download the guide here